It is quite normal for people who are smitten with anxiety disorders to resort to prescription medication. The issue with anti-anxiety medication is that they don’t really solve the real problem, but only provide symptomatic relief. In many cases, people who have been prescribed anti-anxiety drugs have a strong dislike for them. This is mainly because of their side effects, and the notion that they don’t really cure the disease.
It is helpful for everybody, whether or not you suffer from anxiety and stress, to know that there are alternatives to drugs. Some foods and drinks can also provide home remedies to treat anxiety.
1) Stress can be relieved by a warm cup of Chamomile tea. You mind will feel relaxed and your thoughts will be soothed. If you find it hard to sleep at night, Chamomile can help you sleep. It has natural sedative properties that can bring your stressed mind and tense body to a relaxed state.
2) A natural substance found in turkey, called Tryptophan, makes you feel relaxed after eating. A chemical responsible for maintaining balance in the brain, serotonin, comes from tryptophan. Tryptophan consumed through food also helps in relieving anxiety.
3) Improve your mental and psychological health by consuming avocado. They contain potassium, a chemical substance that lowers blood pressure. It can help you prevent anxiety-induced heart attack by keeping your heart rate steady.
4) Consuming a variety of leafy green vegetables and hemp oil can contribute to optimal brain health. Stress and anxiety can be brought to a manageable level with these foods. Magnesium is a substance that keeps your brain-adrenal axis in good condition, and green leafy vegetables are rich in magnesium.
5) Eating dark chocolate helps you keep calm. Dark chocolate can induce calmness and relieve stress more than milk chocolate and white chocolate, because the latter has much more added sugar, milk, and saturated fats which are unhealthy.
6) Depressive disorders and anxiety are relieved with the regular use of turmeric. Among its health benefits turmeric can help in digestion, healing, and reducing joint inflammations.
7) Increasing your intake of foods rich in folic acid can keep you away from anxiety. Asparagus contains folic acid, a chemical responsible for improving the health of your brain’s neurotransmitters. What often causes anxiety and stress is a lowering of folic acid in the body.
8) Liver and other organ meats are a good source of vitamin B. Vitamin B is also necessary for methylation, a process responsible for serotonin production.
9) Eat more oysters to increase your intake of zinc, a chemical necessary for your brain to function normally. If your zinc level drops below normal, this can cause anxiety.
10) Improving the health of your stomach will help improve the condition of your brain to deal with anxiety and stress. Probiotics, such as kefir can help keep the balance of bacteria in your stomach.